HOMEBIOGRAPHY RESUMEDESIGN TEAMS FAVE LINKS

Monday, November 21, 2011

Some old Postage Stamps..

Amazing what you can do with some old Postage Stamps!
I saw this great Challenge on this talented chickie's blog and was inspired to 
create a layout using postage stamps.
It was for a challenge on the Do More With Less blog.
Sorry Chantal,  I left it a little late and didn't finish my layout until after the deadline,
but I'm so happy with how this one turned so I hope you don't mind too much. 

OK, so the challenge was to create a background using postage stamps.
Well quite a few years ago my Mum (who is a collector of many things!!) gave me
a storage box full of stamps-with the intent that I could sort them and put them into albums.
Ummm well I didn't quite get to that stage- 4 kids = busy life.
So when I saw this challenge I unearthed said storage box from 
my laundry cupboards and looked at these 1000's of stamps.
The ones that caught my eye were the older ones from the early to mid 1900's.

They are all in lovely monotones, blues, browns, greens, reds. 
Most of them had Queen Elizabeths' head or her Mummy's and a few
had some King I can't remember which one!!! 
I'm sure the Philatelic Society would keel over at the thought of gluing and throwing
ink over old stamps, but hey a it's all in the name of....scrapbooking.  ;)

Next I found a photo to scrap with.  Me at about 2 1/2years with my Grandfather. 
I may not be as old as the stamps!!!! haha but this Photo is
taken off a slide and is fairly faded so it matched the theme I was going for.

My embellishments are from Prima and D-Lish Scrap flowers, 
resin cabachons from Lil Red Rocket, and doilies from
My Minds Eye.
The clock is Heidi Swap.


My plan was to create a Layout that looked like an old parcel tied in string.
The Airmail bakers twine was perfect for this, along with all the old stamps.
Lots of distressing, inking, misting and splats. 
This is what I came up with.


The journalling is all about the things I remember most when I think of my maternal
grandfather.  He died aged 67 the year I was 12.  Some of these things I had forgotten
and they came back to me as I was doing this layout.  Gotta love a craft that 
can do that for you.



I just love these Prima resin shapes, I rubbed some glimmermist on it to
add to it's weathered look.


Thanks so much for stopping by and if you happen to want to leave me a 
comment, I thank you too for your kind words.  :)
Cheers.

7 comments:

  1. Love Love Love it Leonie absolutely gorgeous :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wowers!! Love this Leonie!! Just perfect really. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow!!!! This is fabulous, Leonie! I really love the addition of the stamps still on the backing like that! I don't know if I have any, I was always too good soaking my stamps LOL! I guess I can always stick old ones onto paper and rip around them! This is such a lovely layout - thanks so much for playing along, albeit a bit late but who cares when you come up with a layout like this! Love that you can do heritage style too so well! xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW! This is amazing Leonie! Fabulous in every way :)
    Fiona
    x

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG! This is stunning!!! The stamps and the splashes are gorgeous!!! And the twin that makes it look like an old parcel… It’s so clever! Love it!!! Hugs Helene

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous LO Leonie... love what you've done with the stamps and the fab vintage feel!! :))

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is just gorgeous Leonie (and I managed to see it before it went out for publication. WOOT WOOT.) Brilliant work.

    ReplyDelete